Threshold of Baba's tomb

Mehera's grave

Mani's grave

Meher Retreat tower

Graves of women disciples

Ahmednagar - Upper Meherabad

Many of the places in upper and lower Meherabad are open daily or may be visited by contacting the Meherabad staff. Additional information is available from the Pilgrim Reservations Office and from markers at many of these locations.

Meher Baba's Samadhi (Tomb).

Known for many years simply as the "Dome," this small stone structure contains Meher Baba's physical form. It began as a small hut erected over a pit where Baba spent a number of months in seclusion. Later the stonework and dome were erected, and Helen Dahm of Switzerland painted the colorful murals which adorn the walls on the inside of the Tomb.

The Tomb is open for darshan from 7:00 am until 7:45 pm. Those who wish to help clean it may come at 6:30 am. Meher Baba's prayers are recited and His artis sung each day at 7:00 am and 7:00 pm. Visitors are asked to maintain silence in and around the Tomb.

Mehera's Shrine

Baba's beloved Mehera passed away in May, 1989. In accordance with Avatar Meher Baba's directive, Mehera's final resting place is by His side, adjacent to His Samadhi.

Mani's Shrine

Baba's sister Mani passed away in August, 1996. In accordance with Avatar Meher Baba's directive, Mani's final resting place is by His side, adjacent to His Samadhi.

Baba's Room

This tin and wooden building is the place where Meher Baba's body lay on January 31, 1969, before being placed in His Tomb. The English stretcher used to transport Baba's body still rests there. This cabin was built in 1935 by Padri, one of Meher Baba's close disciples. The contrast between the sturdy stone foundation and tin walls is explained by the fact that Baba originally gave Padri several months to erect the building. Then when it was only partly done, Baba ordered it finished in a week, and started using it for His work.

Meher Retreat

Originally a stone water tank used by the British in World War I, this building has served a number of uses throughout the years. In the early days Meher Baba spent time here in seclusion. Later doors and windows were added and the Prem Ashram boys slept inside. When an upper story and tower were added in 1938, it housed many of the Eastern and Western women disciples who lived in Meher Baba's ashram.

Today the building is used as a museum, study hall, and library. In the museum are many things connected with Meher Baba's life and work. These include His bicycle, samples of His handwriting, and items of His clothing, including the famous patched Kamli coat. Also in the museum is the original oil painting of the "Ten Circles" chart which was painted by Rano Gayley under Baba's direction. The study hall, formerly the women's dormitory, has charts drawn under Meher Baba's direction and a number of maps of the blue bus tours. The Meherabad Hill library has books, pam-phlets, and periodicals by or about Meher Baba. Those staying at the Meher Pilgrim Retreat may check books out from the open sections of this library.

Cage Room

The small building immediately behind the Tomb contains a room encaged with bamboo bars. Here Meher Baba stayed in seclusion and did His work with certain masts (God-intoxicated souls), including the fiery Karim Baba.

Cemetery

Buried here are the physical remains or personal effects of Meher Baba's parents and a number of close female disciples. These include Mehera's mother, Nadine Tolstoy, Nonny Gayley, Mildred Kyle, Norina Matchabelli, Elizabeth Patterson, Adi's mother Gulmai, Naja Irani, Goher Irani, Katie Irani, Rano Gayley, Margaret Craske and Kitty Davy. Nearby are the graves of a number of pets - Chum, Foundy, Kippy, Cracker, Warrior, and the peacock Moti.

Meher Pilgrim Retreat